Imagine how good it would feel to have a positive impact on another person's life within the shortest of times. Sometimes you only have a few minutes. For example, when someone approaches you in the coffee corner at a customer's office. Yet you still want to support them. Do you have 10 minutes for this person and for yourself?
This coaching format can be a helpful addition to your toolbox.
Situation AsseSsment (<1 minute)
Objective: Find out quickly what the topic is.
You can start with one of the following questions:
- What brings you to me?
- What is it about?
- What's on your plate?
- What's up?
Determine Goal (2 minutes)(s)
Objective: Find out what support is needed right now
- What can we discuss now so that you can solve this problem well?
- What sort of support do you need from me?
- What can we discuss briefly so that you can handle the tasks?
- What would be a good result for you in the next minutes, so that you can continue working on the topic?
Get Solution outline (5-7 Minutes) outline
Objective: Outline success criteria and solution
- What possibilities do you have to solve the issue?
- Which possibility have you not yet thought of?
- How would you recognize a good solution?
- Which important criteria indicates your solution's success?
- What characteristics would a good solution have?
- Assuming you have an idea for a good solution, what would you have to do to destroy it?
- How would your best colleague solve the issue?
Actions (1-2 Minutes)
Objective: Determine how they want to proceed
- Which first step will you take now?
- If we stop here now, which of these will you implement immediately?
- What will you tell your partner tonight, about what steps you have taken today to solve the problem?
(*) See: Radatz, 2010